ISO/IEC 17025:2017 is the international standard laid down for testing and calibration laboratories. It specifies the set of specifications given for carrying out tests including types of sampling. It covers all the methods of calibration—standard, non-standard and laboratory developed techniques. It provides ample guidance to laboratory operators and owners on the various aspects in a laboratory for better operation.
ISO/IEC 17025 is for all laboratories involved in testing and calibrations or involved in product certification regardless of the number of people involved. If the laboratory is not involved in one of the process, for example in product certification or calibration, then that particular section does not apply for that laboratory. Perhaps the biggest difference between other standards is, a lab is not certified through a certification body but rather accredited through an accreditation body that are held responsible for the actions of an accredited lab.
The standard provides international recognition to a laboratory and its effective implementation ensures quality assurance of its activities which eventually leads to higher trust of clients and customers alike.
The significant benefits in achieving ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accreditation include:
- A systematic approach to control all its processes and well defined procedures and supporting documentation.
- Achieve international recognition of its technical competence gain the confidence of customers and interested parties, as well as open doors to new market both locally and international.
- Greater quality awareness amongst employees and reduced defects, scraps, rework failures and service recovery.
- Have a better corporate image in the eyes of regulators, customers, employees as well as the society at large.
- Potential increase in business due to enhanced customer confidence and satisfaction.
- Savings in terms of time and money due to reduction or elimination of the need for re-testing of products.
- Better control of laboratory operations and feedback to laboratories as to whether they have sound Quality Assurance System and are technically competent.
- Control laboratory methods variation.
- Increase of confidence in Testing / Calibration data and personnel performing work.
- Validity and appropriateness of test methods.
- Traceability of measurements and calibrations to national standards.
- Suitability, calibration and maintenance of test equipment & Testing environment.
- Sampling, handling and transportation of test items Quality assurance of test and calibration data.
We will design the system around your existing business practices wherever possible and if necessary help you to identify and resolve issues where you do not conform to the ISO ISO/IEC 17025:2017 standard.
Once the system has been implemented, we will arrange for your system to be fully audited by one of our auditors, before recommending you for your ISO/IEC 17025:2017 assessment by the Accreditation Body.